In this Section
Back to Basics
- 6 Kalimas
- Pillars of Islam
- Rakah in Salat
- Islamic Months
Basics in Islam
More information will be updated soon in this section.
If you like to share your Islamic Articles, Multimedia collection or any other Islamic material , please send us email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to perform a Salat (Prayer)?
There are set movements that go with the five daily prayers. Each set of movements is called a Rak'ah, and there is a set number of rak'ahs for each time of prayer.
Before each Salat, the Muaazin say Adhan (Call to Prayer).
It is more rewarding to say prayer in congregation in the mosque.
- Face Mecca and begin by making a clear intention to pray for God as he has commanded.
A Takbir is when the Muslim shuts out this world to concentrate on God.
- Stand straight up with your hands by your ears and say
(God is Supreme)
- Then, Put your left hand on your chest and your right hand over it and say quietly
- "Glory and praise to you, O God; blessed is your name and exalted is your majesty. There is no God other than you. I come seeking shelter from Satan, the condemned one."
- Now recite the opening chapter of the Qur'an. After this you may recite any other passage from the Qur'an.
Now bow - this is done by bending forwards with your hands on your knees, but keeping the back straight.
Say "Glory be to God the great, and praise to him." Repeat this 3 times.
Stand up with your hands by your sides and say..
"God hears those who praise him. Oh God, all praise be to you, O God greater than everything else."
Prostrate yourself by kneeling, with your forehead, nose, hands, knees, and toes all on the ground. Say
"Glory be to my Lord, the Most High. God is greater than everything else."
Repeat this 3 times
- Rise to a kneeling position with your hands on your knees.
- After a pause repeat the SUJUD
Then stand up saying "God is the Greatest."
That is One Rak'ah, or unit of prayer.
- In the last Rak'ah, after performing 2nd Sujadah, sit on knees and say 1st Tashhud.
"All compliments, all physical prayer , and all monetary worship are for Allah. Peace be upon you, O Prophet, and Allah's mercy and blessings. Peace be on us and on all righteous slaves of Allah . I bear witness that no one is worthy of worship except Allah. I bear witness that Muhammad (peace be upon him ) is his slave and Messenger."
- After Tashhud, say 2nd Tashhud or Darood Sharif
"O Allah, send Grace and Honour on Muhammad (peace be upon him) and on the family and true followers of Muhammad (peace be upon him) just as you sent Grace and Honour on Ibrahim (peace be upon him) and on the family and true followers of Ibrahim (peace be upon him). Surely, you are praiseworthy, The Great . O Allah, send blessings on Muhammad (peace be upon him) and on the family and true followers of Muhammad (peace be upon him) just as you sent blessings on Ibrahim (peace be upon him) and on the family and true followers of Ibrahim (peace be upon him). Surely, you are praiseworthy, The Great "
- And after Darood say Tasleem and Finish your prayer.